The STAGE Collaboratory is a collective laboratory for creating and developing multi-media theatre pieces in which science and technology play prominent roles in content and/or form.
An international array of professional artists and distinguished scientists come together in numerous residencies throughout the year at the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI) to dedicate themselves to the inception and evolution of original theatre work. The Collaboratory’s first theatrical creation, The Brain Project, is well underway.
The Collaboratory was launched in 2009 to expand the successful partnership among artists and scientists known as STAGE.
What is STAGE?
STAGE – Scientists, Technologists and Artists Generating Exploration – a unique collaboration between art and science, began as an alliance between the Professional Artists Lab and the California NanoSystems Institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
STAGE endeavors to:
- Cultivate appreciation and collaboration between the two cultures of science and art
- Catalyze the development of art that depicts the technological age in which we live
- Promote understanding of the sciences in the public arena
- Foster new and imaginative voices and methods of storytelling
- Accomplish all of the above within an international community
STAGE, which is housed at the California NanoSystems Institute, is engaged in two primary activities: the STAGE Collaboratory and the STAGE International Script Competition.